The best thing about strongman is the ease with which you can train. All you need is some awkward heavy objects and you’re set. You can even do these in your backyard while you do yard work. There is no need for an expensive gym membership or fancy machines, although you can certainly do strongman training in the gym too.
The best strongman exercises require you to hold or move a heavy load over a 30 second – 2 minute period of time. Here’s some of my favorites:
- Atlas stone loading
- Ground-to-shoulder with a sandbag
- Sled pushing or dragging – push from the low bars, drag from the loading pins, pull it with a rope hand-over-hand, etc.
- One Arm Dumbbell Push Press (also called a circus dumbbell press)
- Battle Ropes
- Farmer’s Walk – can be done one arm at a time for added core training
- Overhead carry
- Sandbag lunges
- Carry rocks, cinderblocks, or anything heavy back and forth in your yard
- Carry and throw hay bails
- Push a wheelbarrow loaded with rocks
- Truck pull with a rope
- Truck push
- Yoke carry – can be done with a barbell or even with a person, fireman’s carry style
Choose 3-5 of these exercises for each workout. Try to pick a variety of exercises to cover all kinds of different movement patterns like pulling, carrying, pushing, lifting off the ground, explosive movement, etc. Keep rest times minimal for the best fat loss effect. Always move as fast and hard as possible while keeping proper, safe form in mind at all times. Most people won’t be able to keep this pace up for more than 30 minutes, so plan accordingly!